Monday, July 6, 2009

"Changes"

First off - Happy Birthday America! I hope you all enjoyed your July 4th back home. There is no better way to celebrate the 4th than by having a lavish display of fireworks you can't afford because of the country's disastrous economy. Personally, I didn't do anything here besides stroll around downtown and go shopping. I did however have hot dogs for lunch just to feel like I was attending the same picnics as you. Sorry to say, it just isn't the same.



One thing I have noticed about work so far is an abundance of last minute changes and additions to my schedule. The teaching staff has told me that I would be teaching at the Gunpo Education Office, then later they said I would be teaching other teachers at my school English (which a total of 5 people showed up for). Who knows if that will change this or next week. Also, I've been told about having to teach English Camp, as well as summer classes, but also told there is vacation during the same time. It all is getting rather confusing. Today, I was given a teaching schedule for half days from July 20th - August 12th. On these days I teach 2 classes everyday. But the kids are on vacation? Supposedly, students will come to these classes - something that isn't easy to prepare for. (Playing a lot of games comes to mind). I guess I have no choice than to play it by ear for now. (oh, and I was told I don't have to do English Camp too, which is a plus.)

Last week we had an English Teacher dinner at a nice restaurant that specializes in Shabu-Shabu (one of my favorite dishes here which is actually based on the Japanese dish).

It was a nice time, and I got to talk to more of the teachers as well as the principal who I think is really happy I am here. I am the first foreigner teacher at the school to hold a teaching degree they told me. So according to my co-teacher I am seen as dignified and well respected by my other teachers. Yeah, they love me.

This week is going to be easy. I have no classes due to final exams, so instead, I am going to prepare what I can for the 4 summer courses I am teaching. Since I have the same classes 2-3 times a week, I might actually be able to have them work on projects to kill time. Friday night there is a male teacher dinner in which I was invited to attend. Jordan can't make it as he is going to be away. It looks like it'll be me sitting there trying to make conversation in simple English while kicking back a lot of soju. (I hear they drink a ton!).

Also, I got to Skype back home this weekend for a video-chat back home with the family. Lauren came home from Indy to visit and pick up my (now her) car. I'm going to miss my baby! (the car, not Lauren).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

three words....get over it

miker said...

The hot dogs didn't taste the same...You forgot to take the plastic wrapper off again didn't you!

Post a Comment

Visitors

free counters