Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Saengil Chukha Hamnida!

생일축하합니 Saengil Chukha Hamnida! (Happy Birthday!)

Many thanks to everyone who wished me a happy birthday - from the phone calls, e-mails to gifts (and the dinner and cake from my fellow expats)

It was weird having both my 28th and my 29th birthday in Korea. (for those of you that do not understand that: In America when you are born you are "0" years old, and in Korea you are born "1" years old). My birthday has never been a big event - I don't like people making a fuss. Plus, it is always the beginning of the school year so IF people even remember, they're usually too busy with work and/or school.

My co-teacher Kimberly greeted me with cookies from Paris Baguette (a popular pastry chain in S.K.) - they are pretty awesome and are by far the best cookies I have had since being here. My Monday morning class (aka the 7:40am class that I never want to teach) must have been told about the big event, and also greeted me with a big "Happy Birthday!" as well. Those kids are great. The big secret around my school is "How old is Nick-teacher?" Probably because they asked it a lot when I first started and I kept telling them I was an ancient old man and joked about being 100 years old. I informed them that I just turned 101 - which they found amusing. According to one of my classes, I am now an 할아버지 (Harabeoji - "grandfather").

A few of the expats in the area took me out to a nice dinner of samgyeopsal and surprised me with a lovely chocolate mouse cake - which was surprising good for Korean confections. We had a great time interacting with our wait staff in broken English - some of which was rather hilarious and consisted of making "mooing" and clucking noises when trying to discuss beef and eggs. Not to mention getting a round of applause by the locals, and witnessing a guy in a English t-shirt that made no sense whatsoever and who was also wearing a fanny pack. (he was just begging to be laughed at by us crazy westerners).

Dinnah! I love samgyeopsal!
The cake (with grapes and chocolate on top! too funny!)
I just realized I didn't make a wish!
We kicked back a few drinks to cap off the celebration, but had to cut the night short due to the unfortunate realization that - yes - we DO have to go to work in the morning. And I had another 7:40 class to arise for.

Overall, it was a pretty great day, and as this may be my only birthday in Korea, it'll be one I probably won't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors

free counters