Saturday, September 19, 2009

"Take Me Out To The Ballgame..."

Finally, I had a chance to get to see a baseball game! It was the last Saturday game of the season too! I suppose it was a good thing to show up almost 2 hours early to get tickets, as they only had the upper-deck and behind the outfield left.

It was an interesting experience to say the least. I had a good time, and have many things to talk about. Let's begin:




1. If you ever are planning to go to a game at Jamsil Stadium in Seoul, and don't already have tickets purchased online. Get there early - especially for weekend games.

Click to Enlarge




2. Bring a newspaper. To read?? - NO - to put on your seat to reserve it. In all their wisdom, Jamsil stadium does not have assigned seats for the upper-deck (yellow) seats $8! You merely buy a ticket and sit wherever you find a spot. People were camped out hours earlier than I reserving 15 seats - of which they used 5. Some had printed signs and taped them to the seats. Others just left their belongings there with no one to guard them. Interesting, but not efficient. Also, my big complaint was that either they oversold tickets and didn't have enough seats, or people moved from the outfield seats. Where? To the aisles. People just sit in the aisles and make it a death trap in case something ever should happen. I didn't even leave my seat for an attempt on grabbing dinner or the bathroom as I didn't want to try and step through the minefield of little children and their parents picnicking on the stairs.


(or in this case - making pom-poms out of newspapers)

3. Bring whatever you want - food, beer, liquor, weapons. They don't check bags. Alcohol below a certain percentage is actually allowed, as well as food. (I saw people carrying pizza's in). That's definitely a plus, and saves money from being forced to buy $7 hamburgers and $8 beers (oh wait - that's back in the States - here it's cheaper).

4. If you're rooting for the home team, get a seat behind 1st base. I entered the stadium on the 3rd base side, and slowly moved my way to behind home plate where I actually found an unreserved seat. I had a great view, but was stuck between 2 sets of fans. You'll also get a better view of the cheerleaders, might learn the cheers, and are in foul ball territory.


Doosan's Cheer Captain - he's basically a drum major for the crowd (and on crack)

5. Don't expect the teams to be great. They're OK - fielding is their strong point. Strategy and skill is not. The teams don't have a lot of power hitters, the pitchers just seem to throw fastballs (and a lot of wild ones too) They steal bases like crazy at the weirdest times too, and then when you expect them to steal, they don't. (Like with runners at the corners and 1 out - might as well steal 2nd, as the catcher isn't apt to throw with a guy on 3rd and a big lead). However, the game was exciting and there were a lot of hits (due to the only throwing fastballs up the middle of the plate). Also, the fans are pretty polite to the visiting team. There isn't yelling, cursing, or even booing for players. In fact, when the opposing team hit a home run, I saw a lot of Doosan fans cheering for him as he did a good job. The umps are polite too - and are known to reverse calls - something that is hard to come by in MLB.



6. Don't go alone. I couldn't get anyone to accompany me on short notice - it was rather boring because of that.

7. Leave early if it's not a close game and they're in the 9th. (well, if you're taking the subway - as it gets really crowded, really quickly). I was lucky enough to leave while everyone was focusing on a raffle at the end of the game.

8. Buy the "thunder sticks". They're cheap and they look like fun. I would have bought them if I had better seats and was sitting with the Doosan fans. Unfortunately, I had a lot more Lotte Giant fans around me.

9. Bring a camera, you'll get some good pics!



10. Try not to notice that there is no announcer, just a Jumbo-Tron. And pray that you don't get shown on it when they're doing the "Kiss Competition". Don't worry - I wasn't chosen for that -- somehow, I don't think the old man sitting next to me would have puckered up...

(thank you Canon Photostitch!)

Also, here are some videos I took during the game:










No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors

free counters