Monday, January 25, 2010

"Honto No Jibun"

Did you miss me?

Japan is quite the amazing place (and when I say Japan, I mean the parts I saw -- which is not Tokyo). So amazing, in fact, that I'm going to have to write a couple separate posts in order to cover everything I want to.

I'm a bit overwhelmed, but I think I should start with telling you that (like Korea) there is a divide between things old and new. I stayed in the Kansai Region of Japan where you will find such wonderful areas as Osaka, Kyoto, and Nara (unfortunately I didn't have time to see Nara though).



The main part of my trip was focused on Osaka. I did a lot...and I mean A LOT of walking. Japan supposedly has the greatest train systems in the world (I could argue against that in some respects) but they are also not cheap! So, I trekked on foot through bizarre alleys, over bridges, through parks, and quaint neighborhoods.



As I mentioned before there is this cultural divide of new and old. Just as in Seoul, I would stumble across a Buddhist temple right next to a Starbucks. So for this post at least, I will tell you about the new and youthful Japan...er, I mean Osaka/Kyoto area.

Osaka can only be described as "hip". It's a blend of hardworking business people, young professionals, and trendy teenagers. My hotel was in Shinsaibashi in the heart of the youthful area called "Amerika-Mura",  or America Village.



Needless to say, Westerners seem to congregate here amid the hordes of Japanese teenagers and young adults. The first thing I noticed was the fashion. They are more fashion trendy that the youth in Seoul, but in a more daring way. The women cake on the make-up, have dark eye-liner, and dye their hair, wear extensions, or some even wear full wigs.



The men dress in tight pants, and grungy t-shirts, they can be seen often wearing the newest style jacket or hat. They also seem to pay more attention to their hair than my younger sister, which is quite the feat. They are very metrosexual in nature. Some where eyeliner and lipstick, others wear foundation. I even saw a few cross-dressers, which is a rarity to see in Seoul unless you are in Itaewon late at night.

Osaka was very clean, the air felt more fresh and breathable than Seoul, perhaps due to it's location near the sea. There are far fewer people (only around 2 million, compare to the 10 million of Seoul), and due to that fact there was far less congestion in both vehicle, and pedestrian traffic - a welcomed change from being shoved everywhere in Seoul.




I believe Osaka is a rich area (similar to San Fransisco and Boston combined, with a splash of New York sophistication). There were Gucci and Armani stores lining the main street. Behind it lay a parallel covered outdoor mall where one could enjoy anything from a fine hamburger or a cheap pizza, to all you can eat sushi or freshly made ramen noodles. In between those stores was a woman's dream of accessory shops selling shoes, handbags, the newest clothes, and jewelry. Any rich woman with unlimited funds would never leave!



My first day consisted of checking into my hotel and exploring the downtown shopping area. Thanks to the help of the hotel staff, I was directed to a popular all you can eat sushi train. After walking all day (half of which with my heavy backpack) I was famished and gorged myself. The sushi wasn't anything special - seemingly cheap and unoriginal. But for $15 it was worth it. I had to be careful with my spending, what costs $1 in Seoul costs $4 in Osaka - and food has even more of a markup. I found beer in the convenience store for $3 while at a restaurant it was $7-8. In Seoul, most beer in the store is $2 but in a restaurant $5. Those differences add up, especially as the prices increase.



My second day was spent in Osaka focusing on a history museum, and the Osaka-jo Castle (which is amazing). I walked a good 10 or more miles that day (it felt like 50 though). I spent the day in the park and window shopping nearby. I'll post more about the castles and temples later though.

The third day was spent in Kyoto about an hour northeast of Osaka. That day consisted of more temples and small museums.

The fourth and last day I spent in Sakai, a smaller city south of Osaka between the airport and the city. I wanted to go to Nara, but wasn't sure if I would be able to see things in time given that I had to make my flight.

Here is a video that I hope shows some of the youth culture. I'll be making another based on the older culture of castles and temples shortly.




Here are the albums: Click the links!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors

free counters