Monday, April 5, 2010

"The Easter Parade"

I've never been the type of person who is comfortable in doctor offices. (those who are practicing internal medicine that is.) I've spent plenty of time around MD/PhD's!

I had come down with some symptoms last week, and was afraid I was going to catch the flu. (Low energy, felt feverish, sore throat, and congestion.) After talking with my girlfriend on my way home from work Friday, she asked, "Are you finished at work? I got off early and am taking you to the doctor. I already made an appointment and you have no choice!" About an hour later, I was sitting in a clinic across from my apartment. I met with the doctor, who simply asked my symptoms as he typed them into his database. He examined my temperature, breathing and throat, and after about 30 seconds told me, "You have no fever but your throat is inflamed. I'm writing you a prescription for these following drugs: Sudafed, Tylenol, and another decongestant."

http://popseoul.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/thank-you.jpg

In Korea you can't buy any of this stuff in the local store. You have to go to a pharmacy. You don't need a prescription for my drugs though. You can get them over the counter. I think he was just making sure I got what I needed by writing it down.

I was interested to see how much this cost though. 3 drugs for a cold? What's my co-pay in Korea since I have National Health Insurance?

Here's the rundown:
5-10 minute exam by the doctor: 1,700won
Sudafed, Tylenol and other drug: 3,600won
Total: 5,300won

Let's convert that...

$4.71

Take that America! National Health Insurance rules!

********************************************************************************************************

This weekend wasn't too exciting due to my taking it easy with my cold.

Here's a quick rundown:

First off, my girlfriend and I celebrated 6 months - couldn't be happier! We even bought a citron and pumpkin rice cake to celebrate. The bakery even gives you a big plastic knife, matches, and as many candles as you need.



We also walked around town just to get some fresh air. I found some dollar stores (finally!) and a cheaper market to buy fresh fruit and veggies. However, it opens at 9am, closes at 6pm, and isn't open on weekends. What kind of crap is that?

Also, Easter was celebrated around Sanbon. I could tell because as we were walking around we kept seeing bits and pieces of boiled eggs around. It seems the local churches give out the eggs to the parish, and then they walk around town eating them and discarding the shells in the streets -- sometimes along with the white and yolk too. I thought the Easter Bunny exploded there were pieces of egg everywhere!

That's it for now. Happy holidays all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy 6-Month Anniversary bro! Congratulations! :)

Post a Comment

Visitors

free counters