Saturday, August 29, 2009

"Summon the Heroes"

Since my first week in Korea I was yearning to see a baseball game. I've read and heard that the games are enjoyable and extremely cheap. At first I was surprised, as you can get bleacher seats for $3, behind the plate and baselines for about $10, and VIP box seats for $30. (As a Red Sox fan, I could only dream Fenway's tickets were that cheap!) However, after seeing a couple of games on TV, I'm not as surprised to the low cost of the aforementioned tickets. The Korean teams skill levels are the equivalent to our minor leagues - and maybe that is being too nice. The pitchers seem to throw everything right down the middle of the plate, and the bats are swinging left and right. Most games I've seen are pretty high scoring. (Plus I can recall one game where there were 3 errors in one inning - maybe that's just a fluke, but I doubt it.) So maybe the ticket prices are acceptable, as the farm teams back at home are just as cheap.

Three months have past, and as a treat for myself, I decided I was going to venture out and watch a game. The stadium is about an hour away on the subway, and I gave myself extra time to get there early in order to buy a ticket. (You can order them online, but I don't know how). The subway was packed though, and I didn't get there much earlier than the rest of Seoul.

The game I went to see was the Doosan Bears vs. the Kia Tigers. The Doosan Bears share Jamsil Stadium with another home team the LG Twins. (Yes, Korean baseball teams name themselves after conglomerates and not cities). According to many sources, the Tigers are the equivalent of the Yankees - having won many championships, and therefore the Doosan Bears are closest to the Red Sox. Ergo, I'm going to despise the Tigers from now on and am adopting the Bears as my team. Unfortunately, just like the Red Sox/Yankee games - this one was completely sold out! I tried to get a ticket, but to no avail! I'm going to have to recruit my co-teacher to helping me buy a ticket online before the season ends in October.

Korean baseball follows the same rules as MLB baseball (except I'm not sure if they follow the AL or NL rules). The unique thing to baseball in Asia (as I've heard this is the same in Japan) is that the fans contribute to the game using chants and songs, and use 'thunder sticks' along in unison. The fans get really quiet and respectful when their team bats, and gets really loud against the opposing team. Every Korean has not only their favorite baseball player, but cheerleader as well. They lead the songs and dances for the crowd, and contribute to the environment.

I was really looking forward to this game, and even though I knew this was a possibility, I decided "Oh well, if I can't get in, at least I'll get to see the Olympic Stadium area". For those of you young people out there, the Olympic Stadium was built for the 1988 Summer Games. There actually wasn't much to see because you can't get into the stadiums, and everything was blocked off for concerts and events. I did, however, get to take some photos of the area. 
As usual, click the pics to enlarge

 
 


After picking myself up from this huge disappointment and taking a handful of snapshots, I went across the highway (via the subway terminal of course) and strolled through "Asia Park" located near the "Asian Player Village" It wasn't all that exciting, so I just decided to play with the camera and try and practice my photography. I believe I'm getting better.

 
  

When I got home not too long ago, I really wanted pizza. This is something that is everywhere in Korea, but I had still not tested it. After I fended off some Korean missionaries that really wanted me to join their church, I had the fortune to go to a small place called "Pizza Club" right across from my building.  They actually turn out a decent pizza, and you can get a medium for only $5! It comes with sweet pickles as well, which aren't half bad. I think this will be a regular thing before I go out on Friday or Saturday night as it's cheap, yet filling for all that mek-ju and soju!


This note is for my best friend Patrick - I saw an Volvo S80, so I had to take a photo for you of one with Korean plates). By the way - since Hyundai is a Korean made car, I see about 100 Santa Fe's a day, so it's nothing special!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors

free counters