Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"Rocketman - Part 2"

I had posted in December on an ESL teacher and comic artist named Luke Martin who posts his creations about Korean culture from the eyes of just about every expat at his site: Roketship

Here are a few more favorites:

 
I love being immune to the effects of the annoying solicitors simply because I'm white. It's a nice perk not having to be approached. However, they sometimes seem to not pay attention, and I've had them jump in front of my creating small collisions just so they can give the flyer to the Korean next to me. The immunity seems to dissipate when I walk around with my girlfriend though. In fact, for some reason, I become a larger target for restaurant advertisements.
I live near a hospital and I nearly fell over the first time I saw all the patients just walking around the neighborhood with IV bags and gowns on!
I live next to a University hospital, and during the warm weather (and sometimes cold) I see patients walking about like pictured above. Sometimes just to get some fresh air, smoke, or exercise. I'm used to it now, but in the summer when I first arrived I thought it was bizarre and that maybe they got out of the hospital without people knowing.

As a foreigner, I get stared at by older people. 
A lot.
You never really get used to that awkwardness.
I try not to laugh when I see women wearing heels in the snow and ice. The craziest is the women still trying to look sexy and wearing mini-skirts and heals in sub zero temperatures. Even crazier is students running in the snow with sandals. Ah, Korea!
It is a must-have to have attached to your cell-phone some sort of flair. Most of these are actually functional as well and serve as the subway pass, a USB, or the antenna for your cell phone to watch TV on it. I hate them and refuse to do it because I find them annoying and I usually like my phone to sit in my pocket comfortably.

All I can say is how true this is. Oh, and that if you are thinking about coming to Korea, you CAN get by on using charades. However, don't bother coming if you think this way: 
"I don't need to learn Korean, because I will never use it after I leave Korea." 
If you come to Korea, try to learn the language. If you're here just to make some money and not appreciate or try to understand the culture and people you'll be miserable and make people like me embarrassed to be associated with you.
I only know one person who isn't a teacher - and they're simply here because spouse is.

OK, last one for now...
I admit, I do this a lot. Sometimes I have a woman who is selling things door-to-door as well, and just ignore her. It's great to have the video intercom though to filter them out.
I just wish I could somehow hide from the other ultra-religious types in the ROK. Like some of my teachers, the guys on the streets that are super persistent, and the ones on the subway that are just plain annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors

free counters