Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"Superbowl Shuffle"

This will be a quick post today.

No, I did not watch the Superbowl. I couldn't anyways because I had to be at work. (It was Monday morning here - Sunday night back in the U.S.)

I didn't even care who would win

http://images.chron.com/blogs/fanblogtexans/Colts%20logo.gif I guess I could have rooted for Indy because my sister lives there. But I'm a Boston sports fan so I root for the Patriots. Rooting for Indy? That's almost like rooting for the Yankees instead of the Red Sox.

 
http://blog.beliefnet.com/crunchycon/New-Orleans-Saints-Logo.gifSaints? I could care less. Ok, in high school we were the "Saints" so that might give it some merit. But it's a team from the south. I hate teams from the south. I hate a lot about the south (sorry, but it's true). Now, I usually root for the underdog, but it wasn't really clear who that was as both teams seemed evenly matched. I guess New Orleans deserved it seeing as they have sucked for all these years. I can understand their joy, especially if I look back to the Sox winning the World Series in 2004. (I guess the Saints edge the Colts merely on what I will call the "Boston Theory"). That if I can relate the team in some way more closely to the a Boston/New England based team, then I should support that team.

As I sat at my laptop at work, all I could really do is follow the score online, and saw a couple plays as they were posted to YouTube. Overall, I think I had the same mentality the rest of the people in New England. Ehhhh, whatever.

What I did do however, was watch the commercials. I haven't seen any good ones in years during the Superbowl, but I hoped this year would be better.

Wrong again this year.

They were awful. I only liked ONE.

The only commercial I could give any props to is the Google "Paris themed" one. It had nothing to do with the Superbowl, wasn't trying hard to impress, was straight forward, classy, and a little cute. Not to mention, that commercial could be made by one guy on a MacBook in an hour, so it must have been pretty cheap!


Every commercial seemed bent on making men look like idiots, or some sort of violence would happen to a celebrity (ie, Betty White and Pam Tebow) or actor. Pointless. These companies spend all this money just to secure the ad space, but then make the ad completely lame, or try too hard to make us laugh at something stupid.

The weirdest awards go to the Focus On The Family ad with Tim Tebow and his mom. Unless you understood the back-story to it before it aired, or understood it was supposed to be an anti-abortion ad, it made no sense. Even knowing that - it still was pointless as it didn't get any point across besides that Mrs. Tebow loves her son, and her son loves her too.


Also, am I the only one that thinks that Pam Tebow looks like Mary Steenburgen? I swear when I first saw the commercial I thought it was Steenburgen, until I looked closely.

http://www.btea.org/images/pamtebow09200w.jpghttp://thumbs.filmstarts.de/wallpaper/MarySteenburgen_01.jpg

Another weird award goes to Taco Bell's ad about the $5 box. I suppose it was intended to be lame, but really it just made everyone involved look pathetic. I know I'd be embarrassed to have my name attached to that. Charles Barkley should be. (I give you a big thumbs down Charlie!)


Lastly, let's touch on some Korean aspect: Hyundai. They had at least 2 commercials - 3 if I'm guessing right. They were all really boring as well and didn't even focus much on the vehicle. In fact, I don't recall even seeing the interior of the thing.


Anyways, that's it for today. I think some of you will agree with me, and some may not. But if any of those ads had you rolling on the floor in laughter, you seriously need to cut back on your alcohol and/or drug intake while watching sports.

And one more thing: How come this commercial was banned and made an uproar, but the Family First one made the cut? This one at least is a little humorous - but still lame...

 

3 comments:

BroadwayDogs said...

Oh, come on - you didn't like the Dorito commercial with the dog with the anti-bark collar on?? That one made me laugh :)

Unknown said...

You'd be surprised bro- I was rooting for the Colts but was hoping the Saints would win for the mere fact they've never won a Superbowl.

Indy was a very quiet place here on Monday morning...but I'm glad for Drew Brees (he went to Purdue).

NicKorea said...

The Doritos dog commercial was predictable.
and Lauren you can't play both sides just to enjoy the outcome no matter what. Make a choice and stick with it.

Post a Comment

Visitors

free counters